Issue: Ticket logged under wrong company in Autotask
It has taken a while to find a workaround for configuring a third-party alert in Autotask, and found no official documented solution (however Datto explains why the issue occurs). NW Computing has discovered a workable solution to share with the MSP community .
When an alert is received from a monitoring service outside Datto RMM (e.g. 3CX or Pingdom) the ticket is logged in Datto Autotask PSA under the primary company (commonly known as the ‘zero account’), rather than the company that the alert is actually for.
Essentially, this happens because Datto Autotask PSA does not have a way to differentiate between your company and the company that generated the alert, at least not natively.
REQUIREMENTS FOR SOLUTION
You are an administrator in Datto Autotask PSA
You are using Microsoft Exchange, or Microsoft Office 365
- Set up an incoming email processor in Datto Autotask PSA
- Create a mail user contact under your company’s Exchange admin centre with the following settings:
- User ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
- External email address: email@example.com (from Step 1)
- Create a new Contact in Datto Autotask PSA’s CRM under the client with the following settings:
- First name: Company name
- Last name: Alerts
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Create a ‘Shared Mailbox’ in the client’s Microsoft Office 365 tenancy using the email address you created in Step 3.
- Please ensure this address is hidden from global address lists:
- Shared mailbox name: email@example.com
- Create a new mail user contact in client’s office 365, using the address configured in Step 2: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Log into shared mailbox via OWA, and set up an email forward as an inbox rule with the following settings:
- Apply to all messages
- Forward the message to the contact that was configured in Step 2
- Go back to the contact that was created in Step 5 and select hide from address lists.
It may seem counterintuitive to separate this out into its own step, rather than just hiding it when you first created the contact in Step 5, but for this solution to work, it can only be done after the forwarding has been set up.
- Log in and configure the alerting addresses on each 3rd party monitoring service to ensure they match up with the contacts that have been created in Datto Autotask PSA’s CRM in Step 3.
Follow NW Computing on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube for more insightful content. #WeDoMore